It’s still ‘vinyl is final’ for many isle homeowners
In 1961, the first vinyl product, vinyl siding, was brought to Hawaii. Back then, people thought Bud Shasteen and his partner Richard Houar were nuts to bring vinyl siding instead of the leading siding products — asbestos, steel, aluminum and Masonite — in the industry at the time.
At first, people thought vinyl was plastic, flimsy or cheap. But, time tells all truths. By 1981, 90 percent of all siding being sold in Hawaii was vinyl siding because it is the superior product. Ten years later, 99 percent of all siding sold in Hawaii was vinyl siding. The same thing happened with other vinyl products, like windows, fencing and more.
Now that “vinyl is final” has been confirmed, here are some tips on buying and installing vinyl siding.
• When purchasing vinyl siding make sure you buy a quality product. There are a lot of choices available — products made in China, South Korea, Ireland and Canada. Some of the best vinyl products are made in the U.S., so if you buy American-made siding, you will not be disappointed.
• Make sure your installation company is licensed, insured and bonded. Many companies are always trying to shortcut the system to make more money. Protect yourself and go with a real professional, a licensed Hawaii contractor.
• When choosing a contractor, check and make sure the contractor has been in the vinyl siding installation business for more than 12 years — not installing vinyl siding in Florida or California, but in Hawaii. If you are buying a lifetime warranty product, it is better if the company has a chance of being in business 10 years from now when you really need them.
• Remember if it’s too good to be true, then it must be. Many companies run ads that say, “50 percent off” and “buy this and get this free.” Be realistic and realize that nothing of quality for your home is free or cheap today.
• The best tip of the day is to “buy local.” If you want a real professional company, hire Tropical Windows & Siding, which started in 1961. Tropical
Windows & Siding is the first and best company at installing vinyl siding in Hawaii, and has more than 20,000 customers.
If you want the best American-made vinyl siding in Hawaii, call Tropical Windows & Siding where “vinyl is still final.” Tropical Windows & Siding has a showroom at 1351 S. Beretania St. in Honolulu. Come in and see the company’s vinyl products from Monday to Friday, 9 a.m.-5 p.m.; and Saturday, 10 a.m.-4 p.m.
TROPICAL WINDOWS & SIDING
CONTACT 263-1252 (Windward) • 456-4892 (Leeward) • 593-2000 and 396-0971 (Honolulu) ADDRESS 1351 S. Beretania St. (showroom)