Protect your home from CO
While fire safety is front and center, many homeowners overlook the ways they can protect their families from carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning.
Carbon monoxide, an odorless, colorless and invisible threat, is the leading cause of accidental poisoning deaths in the United States, claiming more than 400 lives each year, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Additionally, more than 20,000 people visit the emergency room and more than 4,000 are hospitalized due to accidental CO poisoning annually.
Protection can be as simple as applying these helpful tips:
• Add or upgrade your carbon monoxide alarm. Your CO alarms are just as important as your home’s smoke alarms, so make sure you have one and that it is working properly.
• Keep the grill and generator outdoors. Never bring the grill indoors or operate it or a generator in a space attached to your home such as a porch, patio or garage. Both can emit high levels of CO, and need plenty of ventilation.
• Know the symptoms. CO symptoms mimic the flu without fever. If you or a loved one is feeling confused or dizzy, or if he/she is suffering from headaches, nausea, sleepiness, vomiting or weakness, but has no fever, it may be a case of CO poisoning.
This article is courtesy of Brandpoint.