Make a bold entrance
Raucous Orange. Quixotic Plum. Relic Bronze. These are just some of the bold colors that national color expert Kate Smith predicts will be most popular on residential door exteriors in 2014.
“There are two trends I see influencing front door colors for 2014,” said Smith, chief color maven and president of Sensational Color. “First, there’s the trend of people painting their doors with exuberant hues as a way of telling the world they’re tired of spinning their wheels in place. These people are ready to move forward, embrace challenges and show their energy through vibrant colors like Capri blue and Dynamo raspberry.
“The other trend is that some people are seeking colors that are vibrant yet at the same time connect us to a sense of community and culture. These simpler colors, like Classic French Gray and Polished Mahogany, give us comfort, warmth and reliability, which are found in these rich paint colors.”
For homeowners looking to express their “colorful self,” Smith recommends selecting paintable doors, such as Therma-Tru® Classic-Craft® Canvas Collection® and Pulse® doors. “These smooth-finish doors are ideal for adding personal expression to a home,” said Smith. “They feature clean lines, crisp angles and attractive glass configuration options. By painting the doors in unique colors to match the homeowner’s personality, people can really make a statement with these durable doors.”
About Kate Smith
Smith, a career color trend forecaster who recently authored the free e-book, “FRESH Color Schemes for Your Home Exterior,” recommends working from the “top down” when adding color to the home.
“The door is critical when adding color to the home, but you want to start with your roof color, then work down to the siding, windows, door and trim colors,” says Smith. “Everything should combine in an eye-pleasing palette that allows the exterior colors of the home to flow naturally, creating curb appeal and lasting value.”
Visit www.thermatru.com/pdfs/EBOOK.pdf to download a free copy of Smith’s e-book that features color guidance for Ranch, Colonial, Bungalow, Victorian, Spanish Mission, European and New American
style homes. Additional color tips, including color psychology and the “FRESH Exterior Colors for Your Home” ebook can be found at www.sensationalcolor.com.
For more information on paintable doors from Therma-Tru, visit www.thermatru.com.
Therma-Tru is the nation’s leading manufacturer and most preferred brand of entryway doors. Founded in 1962, Therma-Tru pioneered the fiber-glass entry door industry, and today offers a complete portfolio of entry and patio door system solutions, including decorative glass doorlites, sidelites and transoms, and door components. The company also offers low-maintenance Fypon® urethane and PVC products. With headquarters in Maumee, Ohio, Therma-Tru is part of Fortune Brands Home & Security, Inc. (NYSE: FBHS). For more information, visit www.thermatru.com, www.fypon.com or call (800) 537-8827.
All colors referenced in this story come from Sherwin-Williams®.
Show these colors the door in 2014
This year, be bold by using the following colors on your door:
• Capri: A tropical blue that wakes up natural woods and neutral surroundings, this color adds a splash of energy on the door for a home.
• Raucous Orange: True to its name, this vibrant color demands attention with its energetic orange tone and makes the perfect punctuation point for the front of a home with a modern look.
• Dynamo: This flirty violet hue instantly updates a traditional color scheme on a home exterior to a trendier home front.
• Relic Bronze: A deep, almost brown mustard color, Relic Bronze reflects aged beauty on a home that shows up in unexpected exterior element combinations.
• Quixotic Plum: This sophisticated deep purple breaks out of its noble bonds in 2014 to dance along the edge of where trendy meets timeless as it graces the front entry of homes.
• Georgian Bay: Brighter and more moving than dark navy, this step-above reserved blue is a trusted color when it comes to the welcoming message it sends on a door to family and friends.
• Show Stopper: Like classic red at dusk, Show Stopper adds a touch of mystery to this bright hue. A slight spin on traditional red, this color warmly welcomes people to a home.
• Polished Mahogany: The deep, rich shade of this brown color has a staying power that traverses trends and captures a solid feeling for homeowners.
• Classic French Grey: Stepping out of the shadows to stand on its own, this cool, neutral grey will continue to rule the palette in 2014.
• Gulfstream: This bright, modern blue has an of-the-moment appeal. At the same time, it still feels rooted in something familiar and nostalgic for homeowners.
This article is courtesy of Home Improvement News and Information Center.