LEDs shed new light on holiday glimmer
BY MELANIE MEI
Christmas is just around the corner. Overnight, Hawaii’s living rooms and yards seem to miraculously transform into wintery wonderlands. Holiday gatherings bring people together in the spirit of giving and holiday cheer.
By the time the new year arrives, those gifts and happy memories may evoke more resentment than cheer when you see your credit card statement and a markedly larger electric bill.
Why not enlighten yourself with some helpful tips to save energy and money by utilizing LED Christmas lights? LEDs are super-efficient lights that use much less energy than traditional incandescent light bulbs, 80 to 90 percent less energy to be more precise. Here are five reasons to light up with LEDs this season.
1. Safety. LED lights do not get hot — a big plus if you will be using them on a real tree, as there is no worrying about fire.
2. Energy efficiency. LEDs use 80 to 90 percent less electricity than regular Christmas lights.
3. Extended shelf life. LEDs last up to 100,000 hours. Assuming you use your Christmas lights five hours a day between Thanksgiving and New Year’s, that’s only 200 hours of use each year.
4. Durability. LEDs use light emitting diodes (not incandescence) to produce light, there are no filaments to have burn out, thus, no bulbs to replace. Bulbs are plastic not glass.
5. Weatherproof. Lights are resistant to moisture, heat and cold.
While LEDs cost a little more upfront, long-term, they are an investment in energy savings. In some cases, LEDs can even be more cost-effective if you take advantage of trade-in programs. Home Depot even offered a program to trade in old lights in exchange for a discount on new LED lights this season.
Use of LEDs during the holiday season is also a great way to initiate an energy efficient transformation of your entire home.
Electricity rates don’t have to dim your holiday season. For more tips and savings year round, contact a Risource Energy renewable energy consultant.
contact // 843-8100
address // 1111 Dillingham Blvd.
email // email@example.com
web // www.risourceenergy.com