Building a Multigenerational Home Through Teamwork
This is the third in a three-part series.
Over the past few months, Graham Builders shared the local story of a custom multigenerational home in Kapahulu. The Palakiko ohana started their design+build journey in 2008 after their mother was referred to Graham Builders by a family friend. Together, the team worked diligently to rebuild a residence that was too small and did not reflect the current lifestyle and personal character of the family members.
Now, the Palakiko ohana is in the final stretch of construction as the Graham Builders team is busy putting the finishing touches on the new floor, tiling and cabinets. The open-flow design is reminiscent of “shotgun-style” homes in New Orleans’ French Quarter. Additionally, the multigenerational design helps ensure their mother is able to continue to live independently on the main level by including universal elements such as placing outlets at a higher level, incorporating wider doorways and an accessible bathroom.
“I’m so pleased we chose Graham Builders,” said Donna-Marie Palakiko, “as they have become like family as we traveled this journey together.”
Graham Builders recommends choosing a company that:
• Is known for using high-quality materials and doing great quality work
• Works hard, pays attention to detail and doesn’t cut corners
• Has people you trust and can communicate with
• Has community spirit and a true passion for giving back to the people of Hawaii
• Is family-oriented, local, friendly — someone you feel comfortable talking to and sharing your dreams with
• Has a staff that treats you with care, addresses each of your inquiries as important and confirms that your feedback is critical in the construction process
• Has experience in guiding families with tailoring a home that meets their individual and unique needs
• Listens to you and understands that sometimes you might feel really scared about the big decisions you have to make along the way
• Proves it can build better than just a cookie-cutter home.
• Has a long-standing history in sharing knowledge and education about the design+build process
contact // 593-2808
address // 1144 Young St.
web // www.grahambuilders.com