Are your windows due for an update?
Window replacement is one project that helps insulate the home and improve curb appeal. Ply Gem Windows offers five important questions to ask your contractor before beginning a project.
1. What do I need to know about lead paint? Due to the risk lead paint poses, the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) developed the Lead-Based Paint Renovation, Repair and Painting Program to help protect homeowners. This program requires contractors and personnel be trained to use lead-safe work practices.
2. Can I expect energy savings with my new windows? The window industry measures the energy efficiency of windows in terms of their U-factor, or thermal transmission, and Solar Heat Gain Coefficient (SHGC), or “shading” factor.
3. Can I match the design of my windows to my house style? A few key elements to consider in window design are operating style and grille pattern.
4. I don’t want white or beige windows. What are some other color options? Windows such as Ply Gem Windows Mira Premium Series offer homeowners a range of color options beyond white and beige.
5. What installation method will you be using? Poor installation techniques can defeat the advantages of replacing older windows and may result in air or water leakage. Ask your contractor if they will be doing a “pocket replacement” or a “full frame” installation.
This article is courtesy of Brandpoint.