Builder’s Projects Range From Affordable to Luxury
Nearly 20 years ago, Homeworks Construction pioneered the design/build concept in Hawaii. With more than 1,000 building and remodeling projects completed throughout Oahu, the company is now one of Hawaii’s leading custom home builders and has been ranked among the nation’s Top 500 residential remodelers by Qualified Remodeler Magazine, placing 106 in 2012.
The company has also won numerous awards for design and construction of new homes and remodeling projects from the Building Industry Association and the National Kitchen & Bath Association. The scope of the company’s projects range from affordable to luxury.
Homeworks has been named one of Hawaii’s “Fastest Fifty” companies and one of the “Best Places to Work.” The company currently has 45 full-time employees.
“We are very conscious of the need to reassure prospective clients that winning a lot of awards does not equate to higher prices,” said company founder and CEO Jim Byxbee. “We are very customer oriented and know the importance of service, reliability and integrity. Often we provide clients with addresses of our projects so they can see examples of our work. The endorsement of satisfied clients is the best recommendation a builder can get. Trust is the essential element in the relationship between a client and a builder … after all, they are about to make what may be the biggest investment of their life.”
Byxbee noted his decision to build the new Homeworks headquarters on Beretania Street in Moiliili was influenced by concern for the convenience of clients. The company completely remodeled a 60-year-old two story structure to house offices, conference rooms and a showroom. To create convenient off-street parking, Byxbee demolished an old concrete structure on the property. The attractive new Homeworks Building has contributed to the general upgrading of the neighborhood.
Services provided by the Homeworks design and construction specialists:
• Free on site consultation and written estimate with detailed scope of work
• Free review of the building process and preliminary cost estimate
• Free preliminary plan for qualifying projects
• Planning session with architect
• Approved set of architectural plans
• All site work
• Sewer, water and electrical hookups
• Interior design and color consultation
Completing the project within the established budget and on schedule is a strength of the firm. Throughout the planning and design phases, the client is advised as to how decisions impact the final cost. Once the design and budget are agreed on, the construction drawings are produced and, with final approval of all parties, construction begins.
The Homeworks Partners
• Jim Byxbee, Homeworks Construction CEO, started his career as a carpenter in Connecticut and founded Homeworks in Honolulu in 1994. He is past president of the Building Industry Association and serves as an “expert panelist” at home shows. He launched his popular Build New Or ReDo seminar series 12 years ago and hosts the Build New Or ReDo radio show on KHVH Saturdays from 9 to 10 a.m.
• Marshall Hickox, Homeworks President and Chief Administrative Officer, has a B.S. degree from the University of Massachusetts in a program focused on residential construction. He holds the Certified Green Professional designation, originated the Doors to New Beginnings program with Habitat for Humanity and serves as chairman of the BIA Remodel it Right Expo.
• Sylvio Boucher, Homeworks President and Field Operations Officer, has more than 30 years of construction experience. A licensed general contractor in Quebec and Hawaii, he is a Journeyman carpenter, heavy equipment operator and steel worker. He has also donated his time and talent to Habitat for Humanity home building projects.
contact // 955-2777
address // 2111 S. Beretania St.
Photos: Phil Spalding III