Floored By a Fast, Amazingly Simple DIY Project
Call the family and grab the toolbox. Do it yourself projects can become a family affair this fall.
According to a recent survey by economists at the University of California, there is a trend of parents looking for ways to spend even more time with their children. A DIY project offers the perfect activity mix for spending happy, productive, cost-effective time together to accomplish a common family goal.
One of the easiest ways to update a room is by refreshing the floor, according to Erinn Valencich, a blogger for HGTV’s Design Happens. “Floors set the tone of the room,” she says. “A floor adds so much to the look and feel of the room.”
Hard surfaces, including laminate, are once again dominating home flooring options. Laminate flooring is a popular option and the fastest growing flooring material around, according to HGTV, because of its practical benefits including durability, beauty and lasting wear.
Following these easy tips will make your room look like a million bucks.
• To help reduce moisture, mold, mildew and a hollow sound when walked on, put down a quality underlayment first.
• Order 7 to 10 percent more product than you think you’ll need to allow for cuts and custom fits.
• Order matching or coordinating molding and trim. “This finishing touch will set you apart,” says Valencich.
• Acclimate your laminate floor products before installation. Put unopened cartons in the room they will be installed in for 72 to 96 hours. This is important if you live in a very dry or humid climate.
• Make sure the concrete or wood subfloor is level before you start your installation.
To make floor selection even easier, Valencich has curated her own collection of Quick-Step “Designer’s Choice” floors, which can be viewed at quickstepstyle.com.